As the world continues to do online learning, Moodle is becoming more relevant than ever before. This is a platform used by many professionals used to help teach individuals in various fields. It can help create modules and structure a class for online learning. It is a highly developed software that is easy enough for many people to use. There are some basic things you should know when you choose to use this platform for learning.
Can professors see what you access on Moodle? Yes, a professor can see what you access through Moodle plus a little bit more. They don’t have access to your personal screen, but they can see individual information through the Moodle platform.
On whichever learning platform you use to educate yourself, you should be aware of the terms and conditions of that platform. You should know exactly what the platform can see and use, as well as what the professor may see. They will be able to know what links you use and other information.
What can professors see on Moodle?
Professors can use the reports to track student activity. This means they will be able to see the links used by all students. This can be a good thing if everyone chooses the same link, and everyone gets the assignment wrong, the professor will know what to change and what links to take off. Generally, none of it will be used in a bad way, but it could help them identify what is going wrong and how to fix anything for better learning experiences. Moodle is a wonderful online learning program that can benefit many different people, including educators.
On top of that, they will be able to track all of the participants who put in the effort for an individual assignment. This can actually help someone’s grade in the online class. This means they are able to see comments and posts in a thread, which means your “participation”. The logs can be general, or they can track one student at a time.
Professors can also see which assignments or activities are complete on your end. This can help them see who needs more time, or who is ahead of the game and really on top of their assignments. It can be helpful to track tasks over a long period of time.
Just because a professor can see most things through this platform does not mean they have access to your personal computer. When you log on to Moodle, you give permission to all parties to track what you do through the website. It is not creepy and used for educational purposes; your personal laptop and sites are still secure. There should be no invasion of privacy while using Moodle.
Can a teacher see if you cheat on Moodle?
Online classes allow students to take quizzes on their own time, which usually means it will be an open book quiz. However, some teachers may make it harder for you to look up the answers. The professor will not be able to see what you are doing in your own home and will not have access to your other devices, but the teacher will have access to how long it takes you to complete a question and the overall test. This may lead to suspicions of cheating.
Though many teachers who work through Moodle will expect students to use their resources, there are ways to make it more difficult. They can set timers on each quiz, making it so only a limited time is available for the overall test. The faster you get it done, the more likely you aren’t looking up the answers. Professors may also set up the quiz in a way that is harder for the students to screenshot by doing one question per page.
Each professor will have their Moodle class set up differently, and they will be able to access certain things. They will not be able to tell if you are directly cheating, and most teachers will try to make questions harder if they know you plan on using your textbook or the internet.
For more information about cheating on Moodle look at this article:
ARTICLE: Can Teachers Tell If I Cheat On Moodle?
Does Moodle cost money?
Yes and no. It depends on who you are. If you are a student using this platform, chances are you will be paying for the course but not to use the platform. The course will be set up by the instructor or institute, and they will pay for the software. There are some price plans that all vary, and depending on what you want and need for your classroom experience will affect the price. If you are self-hosting, it can be costly, but if you need something basic, this can be one of the cheapest options for you to choose from.
Who uses Moodle?
There are many different types of people who choose to use Moodle. Open-source learning can be one of the best things for specific fields, and if the price isn’t an issue, it can have excellent benefits that the instructor and students can use and learn from. Here are some of the professional fields that use Moodle for learning.
• Higher education- This is probably the highest percentage of people who use Moodle. This means a lot of colleges have adopted the use of this program to let their students have access to an online learning platform. It usually lands the students a degree, and the teachers and easy way to communicate with their students without having to be in the same room.
• Education Management- People in this industry learn about the organizational structure of a certain business. So, a company could set up a Moodle account to train its staff on management, which can overall lead the business to be more productive. Well worth the Moodle investment.
• Computer Software- These types of companies are always encouraging staff to learn more, and Moodle can be used to train their staff effectively. It can create an open-source of communication throughout a company, which can be beneficial for all parties.
• Primary Education- Currently, a lot of schools have had to make the switch from classrooms to online classrooms, and Moodle has helped them make that switch. COVID-19 has shut down several countries and, with it, some of our children’s primary way of learning. It is not what we would typically choose for our children, but it still allows them to connect with their teachers and other students during a time when they need it.
• Professional Training and Coaches- Anyone who is looking to become certified may look for some online classes, and Moodle offers those classes to be designed and developed. It is one of the best places someone can set up a professional training course.
Moodle has allowed teachers and students to be able to interact with each other without having to be in the same room. It has created online learning platforms that can be used in many different fields; because of that, it will continue to be updated and used.
For more information on Moodle check out this article:
ARTICLE: Does Moodle Check for Plagiarism?
Moodle can be one of the best options to use for an online learning platform, and depending on what you need can be relatively budget-friendly. It allows you to create a class that has every part correctly setup, like discussions, quizzes, and any external links that need to be used for reading. It is straightforward to use and can open up online learning to everyone, even children.
Professors do have access to what their students learn, look at, and their engagement in the course. However, this is not a bad thing; it can help someone with their overall grade. It is also one of the conditions you agree to by signing up for a specific course. Be sure to read the other terms you agree to.